Monday, December 14, 2009

I'm Just Carryin' On An Old Family Tradition

Tonight we had a cookie swap at Bible study. I thought it was a great idea! Everybody had to bring their favorite cookie. I decided I would bring an old childhood favorite. I don't really have a good name for them though. We can just call them ritz cracker cookies. My mom and I would make these every Christmas, and she would always give them to our teachers, friends and family. We would wrap them in green and red plastic wrap and ribbon. I absolutely love these cookies!

Ingredients:
1 box Ritz crackers
1 container creamy peanut butter
2 packages white bark coating
red and green sprinkles

First, set out sheets of wax paper to sit your drying cookies on.
Basically you need to have an assembly line if you are doing these, and especially if your great husband offers to help. I put peanut butter on all the crackers, while he placed the tops on.
I forgot to tell Andrew to put the top of the cracker on the outside. I had to start sandwiching the crackers. Can you tell which one is wrong?


After making all the sandwiches, go back and smooth the edges. This prevents a lot of excess peanut butter getting into your chocolate mixture.All you need to do is place the bark in a bowl and melt it. Heat it long enough to melt, but don't make it too hot, because when you dip the crackers you don't want to burn your hands. (I used to always do this when I was a child.)
Dip all crackers in the melted chocolate, and set on wax paper. Add sprinkles of any kind.
It is as easy as that. My best friend's mom makes similar cookies by using one ritz cracker with peanut butter on it. Then she dips them in milk chocolate. They are delicious too! I hope you enjoy these if you make them. I am thankful my mom always made these a tradition, and I hope to continue it!

1 comment: