Sunday, August 16, 2009

Since Andrew and I did the South Beach Diet, I discovered a new found love for tomato soup. Anywhere we go now that has tomato soup I always get a bowl. It is typically very healthy and very filling. So today, since we don't have much money left in our dining envelope, and I wanted Newk's tomato soup, we decided to make our own tomato soup with a twist. I must say it turned out better than I expected!
Our Ingredients:
2 T olive oil
Box of Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup (Now I know this is cheating, but this just acts as a base, because it really has very little flavor. You can buy this at Kroger in the organic section. They have all kinds of soup options.)
1 large can tomatoes (whichever way you like them diced, stewed, crushed etc.)
1 small can tomatoes w/ flavoring (The only thing I could find in our cabinet was Mexican Style Stewed tomatoes, which I put in the processor to prevent big chunks of tomato in the soup. You can also use a can of Rotel instead.)
1/2 yellow onion chopped
1 red pepper chopped
1 yellow pepper chopped
Fresh garlic (Use however much you want. The picture shows how much we put in.)
3 T green onions chopped
1 T salt (or less if you want)
Garlic powder (optional)

First, in a large pot heat the olive oil, so the vegetables can simmer when you add them in.
Place the green onions and red pepper in the processor and blend. This helps make the soup smoother.

Add the onion and blend.
Finally add the garlic and blend.
Pour the mixture into the olive oil and let it simmer for a minute.
Add the box of soup into the pot.
While that is simmering, chop the yellow pepper and add it to the mixture.
Be careful, because all the peppers and onions can burn your eyes. (Watch out for the steam from the pot. Andrew and I were not so careful.)

Finally, add the two can of tomatoes, salt and garlic powder and let everything simmer. Make sure to put a cover on the pot while the soup is simmering. We let it cook for around 15 minutes on medium heat.
We added monterey jack cheese to the top of our soup. We love cheese! I think it makes everything better! Now there you have it a healthy tomato soup. Also, it makes a good bit, so you can freeze the rest or take it for lunches for the work week.

No comments:

Post a Comment